Mexico Lindo!!

Hi there! Sorry it's been a little bit...(well, I'm actually not "sorry" but I do kinda wish I posted before we went away). Our happy little family just got back from Mexico last night. We're currently still in California (headed back to the arctic NYC tomorrow). We were in Ensenda (in Baja California, MX) for a church leadership training time and the brief summary was - WOW. (pictures coming)

First of all, it's a whole new experience going international with a 10 month old and being pregnant. And yes, I never actually considered Mexico to be entirely "international" until this trip. Oh friends, it is VERY MUCH a different country. All the little details that make it a very different and wonderful country seemed to have slipped by me when I went to Mexico all those times as a single person. It just seemed like an extension of southern Texas (with better tacos - no offense Texans, but you have to admit it's true): everyone speaking Spanish, salsa and chips at every meal and lots of friendly people. But it was with a small child and having one on the way that "not being able to drink the water" made a much bigger deal than it use to. So what if I get a little "Montezuma's Revenge"? It'll pass. (Ha! Pun wasn't intended.)

But I couldn't afford to get sick with a baby inside, and I had to watch everything Elasia put in her mouth. I can't say I was "stressed" or psycho about it all, but I'm just not used to being so "on top" of things all the time. It gave me a taste of what it's going to be like as a "mommy in the nations" and I love it! It was fun watching Elasia clap to the Spanish worship songs. I was amazed by how adaptable babies are. Everything was "normal" for her.

In the sickness department we were successful - the worse we pulled away with are a couple of runny noses from the temperature fluctuations and broken hearts for a country that until this trip had only been a passing thought. God really changed our hearts for Mexico and it's amazing people. He's going to do (and already is doing) such powerful things there and Mexico is going to be a blessing to the nations. And God just drilled deeper and deeper how important it is for us to build His kingdom His way and that even with the best intentions, when we try to do what He wants our own way, we can really mess things up. But He will always bless His ways - obedience is better than sacrifice.

As real and deep and sincere as all this is, truth be told - I'm really excited to get my Puerto Rican self back to the East Coast, no matter how ridiculously cold it is in NYC right now. I miss our church family (ha, and it's only been a week!), and our city, and all that is life over there. I will be dreaming about the greatest fish tacos I've ever had and praying for the beautiful believers there, in the trenches, advancing the kingdom of God daily.

0 comments: